Thursday, April 29, 2010

My brilliant sister

I just got back from listening to my sister, Erin Holmes, speak at Women's Conference. I am so impressed by her. First of all, who gets asked to speak at Women's Conference? Incredible women like Erin. Erin currently supports her family as a professor at BYU in the School of Family Life. She was asked to speak on "Finding Joy in Motherhood." As you can imagine, it was a very popular session at the conference. She did a beautiful job! She expressed the inadequacies we all too often feel as mothers and reminded each of us that our Heavenly Father will help increase our capacity to see the nobility of our efforts and help us feel joy. One of the points that really stuck out to me from Erin's message was that to find something we must look for it. We must SEEK joy. Often that means we must pray and trust that our Heavenly Father will help us. She shared a beautiful quote from Elder and Sister Hafen, "Our sorrows and sacrifices carve and stretch the caverns of feeling within our own hearts and as these caverns are enlarged they expand our soul's capacity for joy." It was such an incredible talk. You really should all watch it when it is rebroadcast on KBYU or find it on byutv.org later on. I'll end this post with another quote Erin shared from Elder Holland:
"Rely on Him. Rely on Him heavily. Rely on him forever. And "press forward with a steadfastness in Christ, having a perfect brightness of hope." You are doing God's work. You are doing it wonderfully well. He is blessing you and He will bless you, even-no, especially-when your days and your nights may be the most challenging. Like the woman who anonymously, meekly, perhaps even with hestation and some embarrassment, fought her way through the crowd just to touch the hem of the Master's garment, so Christ will say to the women who worry and wonder and sometimes weep over their responsibilities as mothers, "Daughter, be of good comfort; thy faith hath made thee whole." And it will make your children whole as well."

5 comments:

Tenille Gates said...

Thats so cool!!..i will have to find it and check it out :0)

Jason and Kristin said...

Wow, I'm sad I missed it. I'll keep watching for you to post the other quote!

Cory and Emily said...

It really was wonderful! I like how you summed things up.

Holmes Family said...

Syd:

Thank you. I just saw this post. I'm so happy you felt the spirit of the message. I love you!

Erin

Megan, John and kids said...

I'm really sad that I missed out on the talk, but I had some amazing talks with Erin about her thoughts while writing the talk and after she gave it. We truly do have a brilliant sister. I loved that you could summarize it and I'm so happy that you and Em and mom could all be there.