Saturday, March 27, 2010

Details

Back in December Gustavo decided we should put our house on the market so we could take advantage of low interest rates and house prices. There are so many condos and town homes for sale in our area (61 in our price range to be exact) that we weren't counting on anything. We looked at homes a little, no showings though because we didn't want to get attached to something that we wouldn't end up being able to get. On Wednesday night my agent sent me the details of an offer we received. The buyers wanted our response by 5 o'clock Thursday. The offer was $6,800 under our asking price. We were hoping to stay within $5,000 so I was considering a counter offer. I couldn't talk to Gustavo because as you all know he is out of the country. I e-mailed him and he didn't respond until 5:20 Thursday night. He didn't hesitate at all and wanted us to accept the offer. I wanted to talk about it more, but was on my way out the door for an appointment. At 7 I got home and we were able to talk on the phone (we talk on the phone about 2 times a week.) I filled him in on more details and he was very excited. Neither of us love to see the bottom line after giving our agent his commission, but we are still in a good position and will have enough equity to cover at least 20% down on our new home. The buyers have been pre qualified for the loan amount we are just waiting for all of the financing to go through. We feel excited and have definitely started looking and picking out homes we'd like to go see when Gustavo gets back. I figure next weekend we'll drive through the neighborhoods of our favorites and then schedule showings for the first week of April. While I'm sad to say goodbye to this house that I love and have made exactly what I want, I'm excited for a real home with a yard and more space. The best news is that Gustavo gets home in only 6 more days!!! We'll keep you posted on this exciting process.

3 comments:

Tenille Gates said...

Woohoo! Good luck with the house hunt :0) Im excited for youguys!

Emily said...

That is so crazy. Good luck you ADULTS, you.

Megan, John and kids said...

Congrats, and good luck to you. I hope that you find something wonderful, and I have full confidence that you'll be able to make the new house as beautiful and your own as you made this town home. And, of course, the countdown to Gustavo's homecoming must be wonderful, although I can attest that sometimes it's the last few days that are the worst.