Friday, June 12, 2009

Mmmm...Lemon Bars

So Tuesday I was sitting at home and thought,

"Mmmm lemon bars sound really good."
Then I smiled as I realized there was nothing keeping me from making them right then! Oh, how I love the freedom of my summer as a stay at home mom. So I pulled out the KitchenAid mixer I bought myself for Christmas and gave it a go.
I was just telling Yolanda and Emily last week that I had unfortunately only used my mixer 2 or 3 times so far. What a shame considering that I got up at 2 am the day after Thanksgiving and risked my life so I could buy it for only 130 dollars (thank goodness for that sweet Hispanic couple that protected me since I was pregnant)! For those of you who don't know that story, I went to Walmart after being very disappointed that my plan to buy the KitchenAid online at walmart.com had failed me. I thought I had this genius plan, but I guess I woke up too late (the sale said it started at 5 am so I figured I'd be safe and get up at 5 am Eastern time. At 1:45 my time they were already sold out so the sale started at some other mysterious time.) I wanted to just go back to sleep, but my head kept spinning so I decided I would see if our Walmart had one I could wait in line to buy. After all, 130 dollars is an excellent deal! When I found the mixers it was easy to see there weren't very many mixers bundled up in seran wrap and there was already a crowd of people swarming around them. As I approached the women who also wanted the mixers stared at me silently for a few minutes. Then the woman who quickly became our leader spoke up and we formed a plan. I was told there were 9 mixers and I was the eighth person to arrive. We each decided which mixer would be ours. I didn't even have a cart, but there was a sweet Hispanic couple who only wanted one mixer so the wife stayed to make sure she could continue to stake her claim while her sweet husband who didn't even speak English went to grab one for me. One other person came shortly after I got there so all of the mixers were spoken for. Those of you who have been to Walmart's day after Thanksgiving sale know that you can't even touch the pallets until 5 am so we just waited and it seemed like people became more frantic with each passing moment. Every time someone approached the pallet "our leader" informed them that there were only 9 mixers and 9 of us were already here. Most people were disappointed, but then left to go find the other deals they were hoping for. We worried about one couple because they came back after already knowing the situation, but they told us they decided they would buy the grill that was on the adjoining pallet. They seemed nice enough so no one was threatened. At about 4:30 a woman in her mid 20's came and when "our leader" spoke up she didn't seem to care. People got worried and decided to break the rules and unwrap the pallet so our mixers could be in our carts- it was so much safer that way. Of course, it wasn't long before a Walmart employee came and had everyone put the merchandise back on the pallet and then walkied for someone to come watch the KitchenAid customers. This new woman who didn't have a KitchenAid came up right behind me and moved my cart. The Hispanic woman quickly got in her face and started yelling at her saying something to the effect that I was pregnant so nobody should even think about pushing me. It was very sweet, but I felt pretty ghetto at the same time. When 5 am hit everyone in Walmart went CRAZY. A sight I never hope to see again. Each of us tried to grab our KitchenAids, but the girl who didn't have one claimed started fighting two people. She was clawing and jumping and all sorts of crazyness. The Walmart employee who was sent to watch us had to get the woman off of the other ladies. She was fighting a 14 year old girl and then a 60 year old woman. It was honestly insane. After all of that I have only used my KitchenAid 2 or 3 times. What a shame.

Now back to my lemon bars.
They were as delicious as I'd hoped. I plan to use that mixer plenty more this summer to make lots of sweet treats. YUM!

3 comments:

Josh and Amber said...

YUM! Those are my all-time favorites! I didn't know about your crazy Day-after-Thanksgiving story! Wow, people sure do go crazy. Josh and I love to go, but we just go to see those crazies! HEHE. Glad you had some body guards with you ;)

Stacey said...

What a riot! I just read this story to my family and Brent laughed and laughed!! We are frightened by Walmart and rightly so after that story. Those crazies are there all the time, not just the day after Thanksgiving. I've been known to tell Brent to send in reinforcements if I'm not back home within half an hour. It doesn't keep me from going though.

Jason and Kristin said...

Yikes! I hate the day after Thanksgiving...but I LOVE lemon bars. I just tried a recipe that has cream cheese frosting on the top of them. Let me know if you need it :).