Friday, November 20, 2009

LONG day

At 9:30 Wednesday night I started feeling really nauseous. I very rarely throw up so I thought it was odd when I did at 10:00, but figured it was a one time thing. Unfortunately that wasn't the case. I spent the whole night throwing up every 15 to 30 minutes. I knew that I couldn't go to work or take care of Ella so at 5:45 I started texting and making some calls. My mom came up at a quarter to 7 and gave me some Finnegren and took care of Ella until Yolanda could come get her. At about 1:30 I figured that I should try to shower. That wasn't a good idea. Standing made me throw up. My mom told me I needed to call the doctor to see if they could prescribe me something. The nurse said I needed to find someone to get me to the Instacare right away. My mom got off work and Yolanda brought Ella back. We finally got to the Instacare at 4:15 and I was feeling miserable. They looked at a few things and decided that I needed an IV because I was so dehydrated. They also gave me some Zofran for the nausea. After all of that I was feeling a ton better, but they wanted a urine sample before letting me go. The urinalysis showed traces of sugar so they checked my blood sugar and saw that it was ridiculously high- 331. They were worried that I had diabetes and that all of my throwing up was my body's reaction. I was told to go to the ER right away to get it checked out. We put Ella to bed at my parent's house right after leaving at 7 and then headed to the ER. My blood sugar was down to 107 when I checked in, but they still wanted to do more blood work. I didn't get back to see the ER doctor until 9 pm. He wanted me to get another IV and more blood work. After 3 hours, so at midnight, the doctor told me everything looked good and that I just had a virus. He prescribed me Zofran and told me to stay hydrated. I was able to sleep through the night (well the 6 hours Ella let me sleep) and am feeling much better today which is a good thing since Gustavo comes home TONIGHT! I love teaching PE, but maybe teaching all the kids is exposing me to way too many germs. I have never been so sick in my entire life. Today is my 8th sick day since school began in August.

4 comments:

Jason and Kristin said...

You poor thing! I'm so glad it was just a bug. I think there is some yicky stuff in the air this year. I've had a cold since Halloween! So happy that Gustavo gets home today. Keep feeling better.

Rod and Jess said...

Holy cow Syd! I'm so sorry you got so sick! That's miserable! I second Kristin - glad it was just a virus, and I hope it's on it's way out! Maybe Gustavo will be just what you need! Hang in there!

Hudson Family said...

Wow, sorry that you were so sick! It's the worst being sick with kids. Glad that you had someone there to help you out, and that you're feeling better.

hillary and britton said...

Oh Syd-how miserable! I'm so soory. I hope you are feeling better now