Sunday, May 31, 2009

Bittersweet

This is the way my room mom decorated my door for teacher appreciation week.

Friday was the last day of school. Every year I count down the days before summer begins, but when the last day comes it is bittersweet. Although I look forward to having 2 months off, it is sad to say goodbye to another group of students who I've grown to love. This year I not only said goodbye to a class, but also to my first grade position. I cleaned out my room and gave away most of my things. It was really hard to give away the things I've collected, bought, and made over the past 4 years. It was easily over $1,000 worth of supplies and books. I just don't know when I'll be going back to the classroom because I know that I need to be a mom during this season of my life. P.E. will be good, but so different. My heart lies in academics, but physical education is definitely the best position for me next year. The last week of school I had to work full time according to district policy. Ella spent more awake time with Jessica than with me. I hated it and know that I couldn't handle being away from her that much on a regular basis. I think that I will go back to teaching at some point, but I have no idea when. This summer will be really great because Gustavo is working the recovery for his unit. That means he has irregular hours and usually ends up working much less than 40 hours a week and the hours he does work are mostly at night. Our little family will be able to spend lots of time together playing and having fun. It will be so great!

This is an old picture I found while cleaning of my '07-'08 class. I am really going to miss teaching first grade.

2 comments:

Jason and Kristin said...

I didn't even get to say goodbye!!! Sure, it's not like I won't ever see you again, just not for 2 months. Thank you for being so wonderful! I asked Graham if he was excited to be done with 1st grade and he said no and that he wanted to stay. When I asked him why he said he didn't want to leave Mrs. Gonzalez. I feel the same way. If you need a play date at the park this summer give us a call. Until then stay cool and don't change over the summer! Love ya!

Cory and Emily said...

Next year you can be "Nacho" everyday P.E. Teacher!