Monday, March 14, 2011

Taking care of 6 kids

For the past 4 and a half days Gustavo and I have been down in Provo taking care of my sister's five children.  Including Ella, the ages of the kids were 11, 9, 7, 4, 2, and 18 months.  The older girls were all very helpful and things went well for the most part.  In all honesty, Ella was my biggest problem half of the time because she didn't do well sharing the spotlight with her 18 month old cousin Max. Of course I didn't make dinner as well as their mom some nights, but even looking back on all of the cooking I didn't receive too many complaints (some nights it just felt like a lot- I definitely need to develop thicker skin before my own family get's big enough to share their opinions).  I was doing fine until Saturday when Gustavo was off at guard weekend and I was trying to help everyone do their chores, keep kids from fighting, taking care of 2 extra nieces, fixing scraped knees, trying to save the dog from his malfunctioning electric fence dog caller, calling their neighbors and friends trying to fix the problems that arose for the dance pictures that were being taken in the evening, searching for dance tights, curling hair, applying make up, taking dinner orders, giving baths, and worrying about the 11 year old who was supposed to be back from her sleepover at 2:30 but didn't arrive until 6:30 (she was supposed to be ready for dance pictures at 5:45).  It was a little overwhelming and since things were out of my control (which I HATE) I allowed myself to get stressed out.  When the night was almost over and all of the kids were in bed I was cleaning the kitchen (I believe I did the dishes at least 50 times) and making muffins for Sunday's breakfast.  Gustavo came in to talk with me and to my surprise sincerely asked "Do you think we should be done having kids?"  I just turned around and laughed.  I pointed to my belly and he said, "Well after this one of course."  I said "TWO? Of course NOT."  He then replied, "Do you think you can handle it?"  I just laughed.  It was so funny he felt that way! I definitely want more children, just not 5 more at once!

3 comments:

Jason and Kristin said...

Yikes! I got tired just reading it. You are a good sister to help out like that.

Yolanda said...

Oh man. Reading that definitely makes me want to be done with having kids. Or at least get a maid.

Brittany said...

You are one brave woman!