Wednesday, September 7, 2011

our helper

the girls in matching jammies when Sophie was 3 weeks old
When we came home from the hospital Ella's whole world had changed.  She loved her baby sister, but didn't love that Sophie got Mom and Dad's attention too.  Ella acted out in every possible way.  Within the first week she stopped eating anything that had nutritional value, cried about everything, threw countless tantrums, bit me because I wouldn't let her keep a Barbie shoe in her mouth, asked to nurse, wanted to get in the crib, had me change her diaper on the changing table, and did just about everything else I feared.  She hated when I nursed the baby.  Absolutely hated it!  I don't know if it was just because the process was new and strange to her, or if it was because I spent so much time doing it, or if it was because Sophie had one on one time with Mom doing something that Ella couldn't. Through this difficult period of transition Ella has always loved Sophia and has wanted to help her whenever possible.  Sometimes she wants to help too much.  Ella believes that giving Sophie her pacifier is always the best thing to do.

 When people asked Ella if she helped Mommy she simply said, "No."  It was the truth.  Fortunately the more she adjusts, the more willing she is to help me out.  For Christmas Laz and Allie gave Ella a lawn mower.  She loves mowing the lawn with Daddy.


I am happy to report that now, in Sophie's 8th week of life, Ella is back to normal!!!  She sleeps well, eats about as well as can be expected, and has stopped acting out more than an average 2 year old.  The second our "normal" life changes she starts to act out, but I'll still take it!

4 comments:

Rod and Jess said...

Oh dear! You have had your hands full of lots of adjustments all at once! It gets better. Easy to say - hard to believe! :) Hang in there! You'll find your balance again! The girls are beautiful!

Brittany said...

So sorry. Glad she is adjusting. Braylee always wanted to give Preslee her binky and bottle too. Ok so her wanting to nurse just kills me...I guess because I didn't nurse Preslee, that is just so foreign to me. But I would catch Braylee with the bottle in her month a few times, so I guess it's kind of the same concept.

Brittany said...

Also, you are awesome to keep nursing when it was probably so hard to do it while dealing with Ella. I would have given up.

Megan, John and kids said...

It's got to be so hard for little ones to understand all of the changes that babies bring, but it still is so hard to try to deal with that when you're tired and hurting and not feeling like yourself yet.